Pages

Saturday 21 January 2012

Of Politics and Government, Cartels and Cabals, Angry Nigerians and Furious Leaders etc etc – A Series. Part 1: In the beginning, Nigerians vexed!

Is it ok to still say ‘Happy New Year!’ when January is almost gone? In case you’re offended sorry, but, Happy New Year! Hope you had a fabulous holiday. As good as I did. Pics of my New Year Day ‘celebrations’ are coming up. For those of you bereft of an exciting village existence, you may want to keep an eye open for that.

Now, I guess most Nigerians have settled into the hustle and bustle of Naija life, trying to get that cheddar before the mice do.  As a friend once said to me, I say to you: May God bless your hustle this year. On the other hand, some people are still grumbling over fuel subsidy removal and subsequent fuel price hike, oh well, the beat goes on.

It is amazing how Nigerians were able to gather themselves together against one enemy – Mr President. I guess the saying is true, there’s nothing like a common enemy to unite a divided nation with over 250 languages and ethnic groups. Wow. I guess like me, most of you are truly impressed, and I must say, there is hope yet for a truly united Nigeria. That will fit in perfectly with my plan of marrying a nice, well mannered, well educated, Igbo man (aren’t they just nicely feisty?). Nothing quite as exciting as a marriage to unite tribes, yeah? - O, for those of you that don’t know, I’m not Igbo.

Of all the protest groups/communities, the folks that impressed me the most were the Lagosians. O boy, those guys sabi groove! You see how they come turn strike/protest into street party/carnival? All kinds of artists came to perform. In fact ehn, I’m seriously considering packing my bags and moving to Eko, because from the way they turn everything into a party, its obvious that Eko never baje o! Even though I was not in support of the strike/protest/demonstration/riot/party, I was gleaming with pride about the fact that Nigerian artists not only talk the talk but they do the walk as well. I was inwardly gloating that these artists could give up some of their talent for a cause they truly believed in – Nigeria. Erm, well, that is until I heard that they got paid to perform (surprise face). Now, though that remains unconfirmed, I doubt very much if my source just made that up for the benefit of my ears. If it happens to be true, does it mean that while people were losing naira over a few days’ shut down of the nation, others (disguised as champions of a forward moving Nigeria) were making dollars because of it? I hope not. If it happens to be false, then three gbosa for those artists who were charitable enough to throw in free performances as their contribution towards a brighter future for Nigeria. Gbosa, gbosa, gbosa!

Perhaps you may be shocked that I was against the strike, don’t be, there are actually many like me out there. Its not because I was tired of being confined indoors (even though I was so bored that I almost embarked on a strike against the strike). The answer is simple, I’m in support of fuel subsidy removal. Was I in support of the sudden increment from N65 to N141? No. Was I in support of it being announced at the start of arguably the most difficult month of the year? No. Nevertheless, I’m in support of removal. Why? You may ask. Here goes – Greece! While I’m fascinated by the myths and legends that have come out of the ancient city, I’m not fascinated by its current financial situation and what it’s doing to Europe. From what I hear, Nigeria may be soon be headed down that same path if care is not taken.

I know there are a lot of issues to be considered in this matter, corruption, boko haram, soldiers on our street, etc. That’s why this is in parts cause if your concentration span is anything like mine, you’re about to switch off… . So, in the infamous words of Nollywood: Watch out for part 2!  

1 comment:

  1. You have made a lot of sense. Will be looking out for part 2.

    ReplyDelete